Instructions for the intake process:
- Horses being retired through Beyond the Wire must be in race training in Maryland. If they have run, they must have starts in Maryland. Horses and trainers based at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course will be given preference over private training facilities. Please read, print and complete the intake form provided on this page for your retiring racehorse…the Program Coordinator can assist with this.
- The intake form must be signed by the horse’s owner or trainer. The trainer may sign on behalf of the owner and is acknowledging, as noted on the intake form, that they “have authority to donate the horse.” An “Authorized Agent” form may also be required when a trainer signs on behalf of an owner.
- Return completed form, along with foal papers and medical records, to Program Administrator, Jessica Hammond, who will then organize a veterinarian evaluation.
- After securing a placement for the retiring horse, our Program Administrator will organize shipping.
- Last, we ask that intact horses be gelded and a donation be given with each horse.